1. What is a 1095 a form ?
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a service by the Federal government to provide an exclusive market place or exchange for buying and enrolling to various health plans. The marketplace is available at address HealthCare.gov. When you apply for individual and family coverage through the Marketplace, you’ll provide income and household information. Health Insurance Marketplaces use Form 1095-A to report information on enrollments in a qualified health plan in the individual market through the Marketplace.
2.How do I get my 1095 a form?
Your form will arrive by mail or if you can’t find it, check your online Marketplace account. Follow the steps to get the Form 1095-A report directly from Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Log in to your HealthCare.gov account.
- Click the green “Continue” button.
- Choose “Go to my applications & coverage” at the top of the screen.
- Under “Your existing applications,” select your 2018 or 2019 application as the case maybe.
- Select “Tax forms” from the menu on the left.
- Download all 1095-As shown on the screen.
3. Why You Need Form 1095 A?
The use of 1095A is for filing taxes by certain individuals for who this form is a great help in filing of your tax return. The reason is that your 1095-A provides you information about subscribed health plans any member of your household had. It also provides the following details,
- Premiums paid
- Premium tax credits used
Therefore, the Form 1095-A helps you to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF) and reconcile the premium tax credit you used and the amount you qualify for.
If you received advance payments of the premium tax credit (APTC) to help pay for health insurance coverage during the year, form 1095 A is absolutely required to see if you got too much or too little of the premium tax credit.
4. Who does not require Form 1095 a for filing taxes?
You don’t need your Form 1095 to file your return if:
- You had health insurance through your employer, a government program or other non-marketplace source
- You get Form 1095-B or Form 1095-C