There are various facilities made by IRS by which a taxpayer can get tax Return Copies from IRS ? For this,one should complete specified form prescribed by the IRS. Watch the quick video for understanding how this facilities of exact copy of tax return works:
Video on How to Get Tax Return Copies from IRS ?
How many years tax return exact copies can be requested from IRS?
You can ask only for six years tax return which may be 1040, 1040A & 1040EZ.
How to make the request ?
The process of request is as under :
Fill the IRS Form 4506.
Attach $ 50 per return copy.
Send it to the address as per your residence . This is given in the Form itself.
In how many days will I receive the copy of tax return from IRS ?
As per IRS , a total of 75 days is the expected time of processing.
Can I ask for the return which I filed jointly with my wife ? Should I get signature of her for this purpose ?
Yes, you can ask for the joint return filed by you . The request can be made by any one of the couple- husband or wife . The request form can be signed by one person only
How to obtain old tax returns for free ?
Well if you want exact copy , a fee for $ 50 needs to be paid per return . But you can obtain transcript of your tax return for which no fees required to be paid ..There are three ways you can get various type of transcripts .
- Get Transcript Online . You register and the can view, print, or download all transcript types .
- You may get tax return transcript and/or a tax account transcript by calling call 800-908-9946. or by mail also ..
- You may also request transcript by faxing/mailing Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return as instructed on the form.
What are various types of transcript types
The transcript types are
- Tax Return Transcript – shows most line items including your adjusted gross income (AGI) from your original tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as filed, along with any forms and schedules. Usually one requires this transcriptions for mortgages and student loans. .
- Tax Account Transcript – shows basic data such as return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income and all payment types
- Record of Account Transcript – combines the tax return and tax account transcripts above into one complete transcript. This transcript is available for the current tax year and returns processed during the prior three years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.
- Wage and Income Transcript – shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T.
- Verification of Non-filing Letter – provides proof that the IRS has no record of a filed Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year you requested. You must use Form 4506-T if you need a letter for tax years older than the prior three years.
That is how you can get exact tax return copies as well as transcript of your return