IRS Verification of Non Filing Letter – 5 Things Every Student Should Know
What , How & Why of irs statement of non filing letter !
What is an IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter?
An IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter is a proof authenticated by the IRS that the applicant or the person whose name is in the IRS letter, did not file an income tax return in Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ for the year written therein.
Why do you need IRS verification letter of non-filing tax return?
There may be two clear cut reasons for procuring IRS verification letter.
- The first one is if you file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate that they or their parents will not file a federal income tax return
- Second reason for verification letter from IRS about non-filing of tax return is if the college desires to verify your claim of income falling below the IRS threshold for filing of tax return. A Verification from IRS is the proof of your claim.
How do I apply online for verification of non filing letter from the IRS?
- Click on “Get My Tax Record“
- Click âGet Transcript Onlineâ (If at any point, you cannot validate your identity â for example, you cannot provide financial verification information or you lack access to a mobile phone â you may use Get Transcript by Mail, see below)
- Follow instructions for creating an account or log in.
- Select “Verification of Non-filing Letter “ and in the Tax Year field, select “2016“.
- Sign and submit the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter
How to Apply for Non Filing Letter from IRS Manually?
Download IRS Form 4506-T .
- Complete lines 1 â 4, following the instructions on page 2 of the form.
- Line 3: enter the non filer’s street address and zip or postal code. Use the address currently on file with the IRS.
- Line 5 provides non filers with the option to have their IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter mailed directly to a third party by the IRS. Do not have your IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter sent directly to Marquette.
- Line 6: Enter tax form number 1040.
- Line 7: Select the checkbox on the right hand side for Verification of Nonfiling.
- Line 9: Year or period requested field, enter “12/31/2016”.
- The non filer must sign and date the form and enter their telephone number. Only one signature is required when requesting a joint IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter.
- Mail or fax the completed IRS Form 4506-T to the address (or FAX number) provided on page 2 of Form 4506-T.
- If the 4506-T information is successfully validated, tax filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter at the address provided on their request within 5 to 10 days.
- Sign and submit the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter,
How long does it take to get a IRS statement of non filing?
Non-filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter at the address provided in their telephone request within 5 to 10 days from the time of the request
The IRS response to the request for a Verification of Nonfiling Letter must be unambiguous. A response that states âno transcript on fileâ or âno record of return filedâ is sufficient verification of nonfiling. A response that states âcould not be processedâ or ârequest could not be honoredâ is not sufficient.
In some casesÂ , the student will receive IRS Form 13873 from the IRS instead of a Verification of Nonfiling Letter. If this form clearly states that the form is provided as verification of nonfiling or that the IRS has no record of a tax return, it is sufficient proof of nonfiling.
What is IRS verification phone number ?
Available from the IRS by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Select âOption 1â for English
- Tax filers must follow prompts to enter their social security number
- Follow prompts to enter the numbers in their street address that was listed on the latest tax return filed.
- Select “Option 2” to request a Tax Transcript/IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter and then enter “2017.â
- If successfully validated, non-filers can expect to receive a paper IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter at the address provided in their telephone request within 5 to 10 calendar days from the time of the request.
- IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter requested by telephone cannot be sent directly to a third party by the IRS.
- Sign and submit the IRS Verification of Non-filing Letter to our office; make sure to include the
studentâs name and student ID# on the letter.