IRS issued Notice 2020-18 (PDF) as a follow up of Covid 19 tax relief announced by the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service . The relief to tax payer are by extending the due date for filing of Federal income tax return for 2019 as well as payment due as per return. Further, to clarify many issues ,IRS has released a Filing and Payment Deadlines Questions and Answers. This faq by IRS was a follow up to the passing of Families First Coronavirus Response Act or FFCRA due to Covid-19.
What Filing Due Dates Not Changed ?
- The postponement of the filing and paying deadline does not extend the April 15, 2020 deadline for filing an amended 2016 Form 1040.
- For taxpayers whose Form 990-T is due on May 15, that due date has not been postponed under the Notice.With respect to returns due on March 16, 2020, which include Form 1065, Form 1065-B, Form 1066, and Form 1120-S for calendar year taxpayers, the filing of those returns has not been postponed.
- Normal filing, payment, and deposit due dates continue to apply to both payroll and excise taxes.[refer question 6 of faq by IRS]
- Normal filing and payment due dates continue to apply to estate and gift taxes.[refer question 7 of faq by IRS]
What due dates actually changed ?
IRS has clarified in the answer to question 3 about the tax forms for which the extension of due dates as well as payment of tax have been effected .
A3. The Notice postpones the filing and payment of Federal income taxes reported on the following forms:
- Form 1040, 1040-SR, 1040-NR, 1040-NR-EZ, 1040-PR, 1040-SS
- Form 1041, 1041-N, 1041-QFT
- Form 1120, 1120-C, 1120-F, 1120-FSC, 1120-H, 1120-L, 1120-ND, 1120-PC, 1120-POL, 1120-REIT, 1120-RIC, 1120-SF
- Form 8960
- Form 8991
With respect to Form 990-T, if that Form is due to be filed on April 15, then it has been postponed to July 15 under the Notice.
Tax Extension Infographic
Please also read who must file tax return?
While the information on this site - Internal Revenue Code Simplified-is about legal issues, it is not legal advice or legal representation. Because of the rapidly changing nature of the law and our reliance upon outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee of the accuracy or reliability of information contained herein.