Where’s My Amended Return ? 7 Points One Must Know !
IRS where's my amended return
If you need to correct Forms 1040, 1040-A, 1040-EZ, 1040-NR, or 1040-NR EZ. for correcting any error or making certain elections after the prescribed deadline. or change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS or make a claim for a carry back due to a loss or unused credit , you need to file a special form 1040-X to amend previous return. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions on amended return
You can check the status of your tax amended Form 1040X using the Where’s My Amended Return? online tool .
You can also call IRS support on the toll-free telephone number 866-464-2050 three weeks after you file your amended return.
You can track the status of amended returns through online tool Where’s My Amended Return? for the current year and up to three prior years.
IRS usually process amended return Form 1040X, in 16 weeks from date of receipt.
Where’s My Amended Return? updates once a day, usually at night. You can check it daily.
What may be the reasons that my amended return not processed even after passing of 16 weeks since IRS received my amended return ?
In some case , delays may occur and processing of amended return may take more than 16 weeks . Some example situations associated with revised return may be as under
Your amended return :
- has errors
- Is incomplete
- Isn’t signed
- Is returned to you requesting more information
- Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation
- Is affected by identity theft or fraud
- needs routing to a specialized area
- needs clearance by the bankruptcy area within the IRS
- needs review and approval by a revenue office
- needs review of an appeal or a requested reconsideration of an IRS decision
What types of details or claims details are not available to be searched through online tool –Where’s My Amended Return?
Following claims may not available for checking
- Carry back applications and claims
- Injured spouse claims
- A Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return marked as an amended or corrected return (not a Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return)
- An amended return with a foreign address
- A business tax amended return
- An amended return processed by a specialized unit—such as our Examination Department or our Bankruptcy Department.
Can you use online tool Where’s My Amended Return? to find out about the status of my Form 1040 for the current tax year?
The answer is No. The online tool –IRS Where’s my amended return– doesn’t provide any status about a current year return or refund. If you want to check current year tax return information , you can use mobile app provided by IRS- IRS2Go Mobile App or can check about current year refund- Where’s My Refund -to find out about your current year tax return. Read 3 easy ways to know about refund