If you have paid more taxes than you are supposed to have, your tax return will show refund due . But IRS will give you refund only when the tax return is processed. So, all those taxpayers have a simple and most common question “Where is my refund ?” . Good news is that IRS , not only hints at a schedule for expected date for refund issue , but also , it suggests three easy way to check the status of refund. These are :
IRS has released a very nice mobile app called IRS2Go – for android ,iOS and Amazon devices . IRS advises taxpayers to download the mobile app from Google play or Amazon or Appstore .This app has refund status tracker and therefore allows you to check your refund status, make a payment, find free tax preparation assistance, sign up for helpful tax tips, and more! You can check the status of your federal income tax refund within 24 hours after IRS receives your e-filed return, or about four (4) weeks after mailing your paper return.
Visit online page for checking refund status . You will need certain details required as input for checking the the status of your tax refund. So . have you social security number or ITIN, your filing status and your exact refund amount as per return near you.
First wait for at least 21 days from the date of efiling your tax return because that is the time IRS generally takes to issue refund . However , in certain cases , IRS may take more time . IRS suggests that you should only call if it has been:
- 21 days or more since you e-filed
- 6 weeks or more since you mailed your return, or when
- “Where’s My Refund” tells you to contact the IRS
The toll-free phone number for inquiry about refund status is 1-800-829-1954.You can check on your refund in either English or Spanish.
You can also call 1-800-829-4477 to reach the IRS TeleTax System and check the status of your tax refund.
Video released by IRS on where’s my refund
List of IRS refund Error Codes & what they mean ?
If your status shows some kind of errors that are indicated by a unique IRS Reference Codes then refer the table below to understand the meaning
- 1001 – Refund paper check mailed more than 4 weeks ago
- 1021 – BFS part offset, check mailed more than 4 weeks ago (contact BFS at 1-800-304-3107)
- 1061 – BFS part offset, direct deposit more than 1 week ago (contact BFS at 1-800-304-3107)
- 1081 – IRS full or partial offset, paper check mailed more than 4 weeks ago
- 1091 – IRS full or partial offset, direct deposit more than one week ago
- 1101 – No data, taxpayer filed paper return more than 6 weeks ago
- 1102 – No data, taxpayer filed electronic return more than 3 weeks ago
- 1121 – Problem identified; P-Freeze (We’ve discovered that this is typically a typo on the return)
- 1141 – Refund delayed liability on another account (this means you owe a government entity money)
- 1161 – Refund delayed, bankruptcy on account
- 1181 – Refund delayed, pulled for review, not within 7 cycles conduct account analysis
- 1201 – All other conditions not covered by a status code conduct account analysis
- 1221 – Refund delayed, pulled for review, within 7 cycles conduct account analysis
- 1241 – Paper return received more than 6 weeks ago; in review, notice for additional information will be received
- 1242 – Electronic return received more than 3 weeks ago; –E Freeze; in review, notice for additional information will be received
- 1261 – Paper return received more than 6 weeks ago; –Q Freeze; in review, notice for additional information will be received
- 1262 – Electronic return received more than 3 weeks ago; -Q Freeze; in review, notice for additional information will be received
- 1301 – Fact of Filing Electronic return received more than 3 weeks ago; no other information See IRM 22.214.171.124.1.2, Return Found/Not Processed
- 1341 – Refund delayed, liability on another account
- 1361 – Refund withheld for part/full payment of another tax liability
- 1381 – Refund withheld for part/full payment of another tax liability
- 1401 – Refund withheld for part/full payment of another tax liability
- 1421 – Refund delayed bankruptcy on account; -V Freeze; more than 8 weeks
- 1441 – Refund delayed, SSN, ITIN or Name mismatch with SSA/IRS; return posted to Invalid Segment
While the information on this site - Internal Revenue Code Simplified-is about legal issues, it is not legal advice or legal representation. Because of the rapidly changing nature of the law and our reliance upon outside sources, we make no warranty or guarantee of the accuracy or reliability of information contained herein.